Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a way through which you can improve the ranking, web traffic and can increase awareness of your website in search engines. SEO makes your website search-friendly and better for people too.
Now, what is website search ranking and website traffic?
- Search Ranking: Website ranking in search results shows which website is more popular. A site which appears on the top of the search list obviously has a high ranking.
- Website Traffic: Web users who visit a website create website traffic. It’s a common way to monitor popularity of a website.
Audience trust search engines and the results provided by them. A vast majority of people check only top 3 links which appear on the search result page. This shows that the top links are the most relevant and searched. It’s important for web owner to do search engine optimization so that his website could appear in the top positions of search result page of the search engines like Google, yahoo, Bing, Ask.com and others.
Why it is important for a web owner to have his website on the top list of search result page?
When a user searches something on a search engine by typing some terms and phrases, known as keywords, search engine provide the user a list of websites which could be the answer the searcher is looking for.
Usually, searchers don’t click on every particular link in the search result page. They check only those links which are on the top most positions and in the first page of the result page. So, it is very important for a web owner to have his link on the first page of the result page to get attention of the audience, and for website worth.
The order of the ranking of websites in the search result page is based on complex algorithms used by search engines. There are various factors of algorithm through which websites get ranked, such as content, titles, back links, etc.
Search Engine Optimization includes:
- Finding the terms and phrases (keywords)
- Generate traffic through search engine referrals
- Improve quality and quantity of traffic on website
- Making sites friendly to search engines
- Building links and marketing the unique value of the site
Two main components of search engine optimization are:
- On-site SEO: On-site SEO makes your website gain favour from search engine by adjusting certain on-page elements of your wbsite. The objective is to make search engine index your content and structure of website in a way that it gets priority in search results. Working on problems related to on-site seo is the first step we should take while optimizing website SEO. Basically, it optimizes website to contain key words, improve content quality and website usability. Webmasters have to ensure that their sites have the relevant keywords, quality content that users find useful and great user experience.
- Off-site SEO: Beside advertisements, the action you take to promote your website on search engines is known as off-site SEO. The objective is to get endorsements from other websites through back links to your website. Such backlinks can be created through articles, press releases, forums, social media, blog posts, discussion boards, etc.
Keywords for SEO
The most important thing in SEO is keyword.
Keywords are the terms and phrases that users search for on search engines such as Google. Keywords are ideas that define what the content is all about. It is important to have relevant keywords in your content so that while searching your content should be in the results.
You need to know how people are looking for the information that you are offering in order to make it easy for them to find you. The more they click and visit your site, the better your site’s reputation and search ranking.
Keywords are like connector between what the searcher is looking for and what the website is providing to answer her queries. Keywords help to generate organic (natural) traffic for your site. A website SEO person needs to think like a user, the language they could use, the terms which are most popular among users, the type of content they seek.
It’s very important to do keyword research before choosing keywords. After research, you can plan for implementing those keywords in your new or existing web content.
There are two types of keyword:
- Primary keywords: Primary keywords, or short tail keywords, are those keywords which summarizes the entire content, generally not more than 3 words. For example, shoes, cinema hall, lose weight, earn money online.
- Long-tail keywords: Long-tail keywords are basically branches of the primary keywords. These long-tail keywords are more specific with other search parameters, and longer than 3 words. For example, how to make pizza using oven, how to lose weight in a month. If our primary keyword is “earn money online”, long-tail keywords can be “earn money online through social media”, “earn money online on You Tube in India”, etc.
For high ranking, we should consider these factors:
- Keyword placement: Try to include keywords in page URLs, titles and headings.
- Keyword density: Search engines still try to figure out the best content for a search keyword through scanning the content and referring to the density of the key phrase in the text. However, the keyword density, or occurance per 100 words, should not be more than 3% as search engines have become smart to ignore keyword stuffing, or indiscriminate addition of keywords on web pages.
- Selecting correct keywords.
- Placing keywords in your website meta title and description.
After keyword research, the next step is to make website keyword-rich which means to have a good keyword density for your target keywords. You can use targeted keywords and their variants in the headings, page titles, paragraphs to improve ranking.
Keywords help search engines to understand sites. When search engine crawls (read) website to index them, it will parse the keyword on the site to determine the purpose of the website. Keywords help the site to get listed in the search result page.
One of the best way to select keywords is to put yourself in place of audience and think how they would search for your website rather than what you want to be found for.
That’s all that you need to understand SEO through keyword optimization. Get your thinking cap on and optimize your content with the right keywords. Don’t forget to build some relevant backlinks through outreach and other white-hat methods. Try to incorporate your keywords in anchor text of hyperlinks to your website. Beware of just a few anchor text in your backlinks as that may flag your website off-site SEO as black-hat or unnatural.
Author: Aditya Singhal
Aditya Singhal is the co-founder of Transtutors (http://www.transtutors.com/), an online assignment help platform for graduation and post-graduation level, owned and operated by Transweb Global Inc. Prior to this venture, he has worked with Kurt Salmon Associates, a reputed American Management Consultancy. He aspires to incorporate technology to create the biggest hub of Questions and Answers bank for better learning of students. He is enthusiastic and passionate about internet products that when used appropriately can make a big difference in the lives of people.