Feeds allow your readers to stay updated with latest content/posts on your blogs. However, feeds aren’t automatically pushed to the feed reader clients being used by your subscribers. Feed readers download the entire feed from the website whenever they want to get the latest update from the website. This results in a delay between the post being published on your blog and the time your reader gets it. If you want to improve the effectiveness of your blog’s feeds, there is nothing better than PubSubHubbub.
What is PubSubHubbub?
PubSubHubbub turns your existing Atom and RSS feeds into real-time streams. It is a simple, open, server-to-server publish/subscribe protocol which pushes your feeds instantly to the subscribers via hubs.
The protocol is decentralized and free. No company is at the center of this controlling it. Anybody can run a hub, or anybody can publish or subscribe using open hubs. Below is the list of products at Google that have already adopted PubSubHubub– and more are on the way! ~ Google Code
How to install PubSubHubbub on WordPress?
Even if you didn’t understand how PubsubHubbub works, for using it with your WordPress website or blog, you just need to download and install PushPress WordPress plug-in.
- Download the plug-in from WordPress repository.
- When you unzip the
pushpress.ziparchive, you will get a “pushpress” folder.
- Upload this folder to your plugins directory (usally
- Activate the plugin through the “Plugins” menu in your WordPress dashboard.
- All done! There is no settings page to worry about.
You can also install the plug-in directly from your WordPress dashboard.
Advantages of PubSubHubbub
- Real-time feed stream allows your readers to get instant notifications.
- Search engines can find your content faster. It expedites the indexing of the page by sending quick updates to search engines.