Do you want to start a blog? Don’t know how to get started with blogging career and make money online? Here is a quick and easy guide to create your blog in just about 30 minutes. Learn how to start your blog with Bluehost & WordPress.
In this easy guide, you will have step-by-step instructions to create your first blog in just few minutes and start blogging. So, let’s get started to dazzle the world with our talent and awesome blog. (Here’s a more focused guide on how to start a food blog.)
Step by Step Guide to Create a Blog
1. Click here to purchase BlueHost web hosting for a discounted price (just $3.45/month) using our affiliate link. Click the “Get Started” button (for the shared hosting plan). (Bluehost is one of the best and cheapest web hosting service, particularly for beginners.)
2. Select your Shared hosting hosting plan. Chose the Starter or Plus plan, which work best for new bloggers. Click “Select” to choose your Bluehost plan.
3. Type your desired domain name (website address) in the “New Domain” box and then click “next” to see if it is available. If it is already registered, you will have to try searching for a new domain.
If you already own a domain name and want to use it for your blog, type your existing domain in the other box — “I Have a Domain Name” — and then click “next”. Do not use this box if you haven’t got this domain already registered and paid for the domain registration! Be warned, you will have to change the Name Server of your domain if you are going to use a domain that you already own.
4. If your chosen domain is not available, you will be suggested some available domain names. You can choose one of the suggested domains or search again for another domain name.
5. Once you find an available domain name, you will be taken to the registration page. Enter your correct billing address and payment details. Make sure to uncheck the options that are unwanted to keep cost low.
6. Choose your hosting package, tenure and other options. Get the 36 month package if you want to save the cost in the long run. Otherwise, go for the 12-month or 24-month package. Uncheck the boxes next to the other products. You can get these services later if you need them.
7. As soon as you complete the payment, your account is setup (in a few minutes) and you receive the welcome email with your hosting details, cpanel login and password, nameserver information, etc.
8. Login to your account by visiting https://login.bluehost.com/ or by visiting the BlueHost homepage and clicking the login tab at the top. Enter in your domain name and the password you chose at the time of purchasing your domain & hosting.
9. Once you have logged in to your Bluehost control panel, you can install WordPress, the most popular and easy blogging software. Check the Bluehost control panel demo at https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/home
10. Close any pop-up windows in the hosting account dashboard. Look under the “Website” heading and click the “Install WordPress” link.
11. You will be automatically logged in to Mojo Marketplace and taken to the WordPress installation wizard page. Click on the “Install” button to begin.
12. Select your domain name and click “Check Domain”. Do not enter anything in the directory textbox.
13. Check the “Show advanced options” box. Enter the title, email, username, and password for your new WordPress blog. All of them except the username can be changed later through the admin dashboard of WordPress. Keep your username and password safely written or saved. Make sure to use a fully functional email address so that you can recover your password if you forget it.
14. Check the box to agree to the terms and then click the “Install Now” button. WordPress is now installing!
15. Once the installation is complete, click on the “View Credentials” link at the top of the page to see your login (username/password) information for the new WordPress blog. Don’t worry. You will also get an email with your login information as soon as the installation is over.
Congratulations! You just created a blog with WordPress.
Now, log in to you new WordPress blog at YourDomainName.com/wp-admin/ and tweak with the Settings, Appearance, Themes options in the WordPress dashboard menu. Make it your own. Here are a few things to do with your brand-new blog.
- Log in to WordPress dashboard
- Add a tag line for your blog in the Settings page.
- Choose the right Permalink structure in the Settings -> Permalinks page.
- Delete the dummy post & page in the Post & Page sections.
- Add a nice “About” page for your blog via Pages -> Add New.
- Change the look of the blog, go to the Appearance -> Themes page.
- Add plugins for SEO, Contact form, etc.
- Write your first blog post via Dashboard -> Posts -> Add New.